|Mollie King at the WEA stall at Brookmans Park Village Day|
Image courtesy of Brookmans Park WEA
During the second world war, Brookmans Park residents who were eager to broaden their education had to walk by torchlight along muddy lanes to Potters Bar to attend classes organised by the Workers Educational Association (WEA).
In 1946, a local branch had been formed in the village, meeting in an unfurnished shop on Bradmore Green. Those attending had to bring their own chairs, blankets and refreshments.
Meetings then moved to private homes and eventually to the local library. By 1989 the Brookmans Park WEA boasted 70 students a year.
The then chair of the local branch, Mollie King, wrote a brief history of the local WEA in the May 2002 issue of the Chancellor's Community Newsletter. The article is reproduced below with the permission of the publisher. The Brookmans Park WEA site also has a short potted history.