|Pupils at Christ Church School, Little Heath in the 1900s|
Photographer unknown, image from the Peter Miller collection
When Little Heath school opened in 1884 it was to cater for pupils that were "different in kind" from the children of farm workers and labourers attending the parish's other two schools at Water End and Welham Green.
According to historian Peter Kingsford, the children came from families of a predominantly different working background from the rest of North Mymms, made up of "merchants, clerks and their gardeners and servants".
Kingsford wrote about the school in the April 1985 issue of the Chancellor’s Community Newsletter, reproduced here with permission of the publisher. Click on the image below for a larger version.