Welcome to the North Mymms History Project

A growing historical resource of more than 150 books, features, and documents. Feel free to use the comment box beneath any item to add relevant information. Suggestions and content ideas welcome. You can sign up for email notifications at the top left of any page.

Public Houses - Pictures From The Past

NORTH MYMMS PICTURES FROM THE PAST

Photograph of The White Swan at Bell Bar. The licensee in 1891 was Charlie Chatman. It was open from 8am to 10pm. The stables contained two broughams, a wagonette, a Victoria, a trap and a dog cart which were used for taking people as far as Hertford
The White Swan at Bell Bar, licensee in 1891 was Charlie Chatman - it was open from 8am to 10pm
the stables contained two broughams, a wagonette, a Victoria, a trap and a dog cart
which were used for taking people as far as Hertford

Public Houses


This is one of a dozen sections from North Mymms Pictures From The Past, a book published in 2002 by the former North Mymms Local History Society, featuring more than 100 old photographs of the parish. The majority of the photographs are on the Images Of North Mymms collection of CDs. To access all sections, please scroll down to the index at the foot of this page.

Ale houses, beer houses, inns and taverns have always played a central role in the community, and ours have a historical background.

Bell Bar, because of its location on the old Great North Road, gave rise to The Bell (1556), The White Hart (1721), The White Swan (1850), the latter being built on the Great North Road. The Cock O' The North followed in the 1930s.

The Hope and Anchor, Welham Green, was referred to as a beer house in 1838 when James Hutson, who was also a shop-keeper and church organist, paid the North Mymms bell-ringers in beer.

The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green, was originally, in 1750, known as The Duke of Leeds Arms, after the Lord of the Manor of North Mymms. By 1850 it was called The Sibthorpe Arms, after the Sibthorpe family who owned the Manor of Potterells.

Photograph of The former White Swan, Bell Bar, in 1982, now a private residence
The former White Swan, Bell Bar, in 1982, now a private residence


Photograph of Cock O' The North, Great North Road, Bell Bar, with Hartsman advertising airship flying above. July 1985
Cock O' The North, Great North Road, Bell Bar
with Hartsman advertising airship flying above - July 1985


Photograph of the Brookmans Park Hotel. Opposition to the building of a beer house in 1936 led to the Hadley Brewery Company submitting new plans for an hotel in Brookmans Park. Building commenced in 1939, shown here in 1964. Merrilegs the pony lived in the field on the corner
Opposition to the building of a beer house in 1936 led to the Hadley Brewery Company
submitting new plans for an hotel in Brookmans Park
Building commenced in 1939, shown here in 1964
Merrilegs the pony lived in the field on the corner

Photograph of The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green, c.19th century
The Sibthorpe Arms, Welham Green, c.19th century


Photograph of The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, August 25, 1915
The Hope and Anchor, Station Road, Welham Green, August 25, 1915


Photograph of  The Old Maypole, Water End, 1920. It claims to date from 1520; the building appears to be 16 or 17th century. In 1871 the licensee was Mary Ann Massey, whose brother Walter ran the blacksmith shop adjoining the pub
 The Old Maypole, Water End, 1920
It claims to date from 1520; the building appears to be 16 or 17th century
In 1871 the licensee was Mary Ann Massey
whose brother Walter ran the blacksmith shop adjoining the pub


Photograph and sketch of an advertising card for The Old Maypole Water End. The Barnet By-pass became the A1 road in 1954
An advertising card for The Old Maypole Water End
The Barnet By-pass became the A1 road in 1954



Photograph of The Woodman at Water End. Probably known as The Tollgate in 1700s. Purchased by Charles Bradshaw, a Hatfield baker and brewer in 1851, who sold out to Edward Pryor and Percy Reid in 1888. The premises were shown as a grocers shop as well as a beer retailer during the 19th century and in 1881 the licensee George Dickens also gave his occupation as a gardener. The 1891 census shows George Dickens (54) publican and labourer, Harriet Dickens (58) wife, and Annie Day (24) niece. c 1890
The Woodman at Water End. Probably known as The Tollgate in 1700s
Purchased by Charles Bradshaw, a Hatfield baker and brewer in 1851
who sold out to Edward Pryor and Percy Reid in 1888
The premises were shown as a grocers shop as well as a beer retailer during the 19th century
In 1881 the licensee George Dickens also gave his occupation as a gardener
The 1891 census shows George Dickens (54) publican and labourer,
Harriet Dickens (58) wife, and Annie Day (24) niece. c 1890



NORTH MYMMS PICTURES FROM THE PAST

Chapters



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any information to add to this item, please use the comment box below. We welcome input and are keen to update any piece with new research or information. Comments are pre-moderated, so there will be a delay before they go live. Thanks