Welham Green from above 1947-54

From our aerial photography over North Mymms series


Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952. This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Courtesy of the Britain From Above project
Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing and is courtesy of the Britain From Above

This site has downloaded 50 aerial images taken over North Mymms in the 1920s, '40s and '50s. They are from the Britain From Above project and show how the area has changed over the years. This collection shows how Welham Green has developed since 1947-54.

Six galleries with 72 aerial images spanning 90 years


This photo-gallery is one of six in our series of aerial images over North Mymms. The collection includes a total of 66 photographs taken in 1928-29, 1947, 1948-54, the early 1960s, and 2002. The images show how North Mymms has developed over the course of almost 100 years. There are links to all six galleries at the bottom of this article.

Please feel free to add any observations or comments in the comments box below the gallery.

Photograph of Railway (LNER) line, Welham Green, 1947 Original Britain From Above caption
Railway (LNER) line, Welham Green, 1947
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: The sewage farm at Skimpans just off Station Road, Welham Green. This photograph taken from the north looking south along the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) line. Bulls Lane, Skimpans Farm and Bridge are at the bottom. Peplin’s Wood is to the left. Meadow Works factory later demolished and replaced by Meadow Close is bottom right.



Photograph of Skimpans Bridge and Bulls Lane, Welham Green, 1947 Original Britain From Above caption
Skimpans Bridge and Bulls Lane, Welham Green, 1947
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: Skimpans Bridge over Bulls Lane on the southern border of Welham Green. The sewage farm at Skimpans just off Station Road is visible in the bottom right of the picture. Peplin’s Wood and Brookmans Park golf course are to the right. Bulls Lane is seen weaving its way up to Bell Bar.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952 This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: The view across the current Travellers Lane Industrial Estate at Welham Green looking towards Travellers Lane, the railway line and Marshmoor.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952 This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: Dixons Hill Road is seen running along the bottom of this image with new houses being built on the south side and along Somers Road. Travellers Lane is middle right alongside the railway. Churchill Crescent is bottom left. The houses around Puttocks Drive can be seen middle left.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the south-east, 1952 This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the south-east, 1952
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: The Travellers Lane Industrial Estate from the south-east with Dixons Hill Road running from left to right, Holloways Lane running lower left to low centre, The entrance road to the Lone Star toy factory leading off Holloways Lane bottom left. The railway line to the right. The site of Welham Green station is bottom right. The station would be opened 34 years later.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-west, 1952.  This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-west, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing.
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: The view across the Travellers Lane Industrial Estate from the north-west showing the railway, the Great North Road (A1000) to the left, Pooleys Lane bottom right, Dixons Hill Road middle right, and Holloways Lane top right.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, houses along Dixons Hill Road and environs,  Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952.  This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor, houses along Dixons Hill Road and environs,
Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption

Above: A view over Churchill Crescent on Dixons Hill Road, Welham Green looking east to the Travellers Lane Industrial Estate. In the distance is Marshmoor and, beyond that, the grounds of Hatfield House.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952.  This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the south-west, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing.
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: In the far distance are the grounds of Hatfield House. In front of that the Great North Road (A1000) and, in front of that the railway line. Huggins Lane is to the left.



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952.  This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing.
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: The view looking south-west over Welham Green with Marshmoor Lane in the near distance, then the railway line, Travellers Lane and the Travellers Lane Industrial Estate. Dixons Hill Road is seen heading middle left towards the middle of the picture and Welham Green village centre. The line of trees left to right in the middle distance mark the route of the Barnet By-Pass, now the A1(M).



Photograph of The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952.  This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. Original Britain From Above caption
The Dottridge Brothers Ltd Coffin Factory at Marshmoor and environs, Welham Green, from the north-east, 1952.
This image was marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing.
Original Britain From Above caption

Above: Looking south-west across Welham Green with Marshmoor Lane and railway line running middle left to bottom right (you can just make out a steam train). Travellers Lane Industrial Estate is in the middle of the picture. Holloways Lane is middle left and Dixons Hill Road leads from middle left to right to Welham Green crossroads.


Our six collections of aerial images taken over North Mymms are:




All the images in this feature have been downloaded under the terms and conditions set by Britain From Above. These conditions are as follows:

"Permission is granted for limited distribution of specially prepared images.  These are accessed by selecting the 'Download' button under each image.  These images are limited to 580px on the longest side and carry a special watermark.  You may copy solely these watermarked images to a blog or personal web page as long as the page is freely available with no login restrictions and no charges.  The following conditions apply: you must display the attribution which is contained in the watermark, you must not resize or crop the image, you may make no commercial use of the image or attempt to sell it, sub-license it or use it in any form of advertising.  You must create a return link to the Britain from Above site."
The photographs are originally from the Aerofilms collection which includes 1.26 million negatives and more than 2000 photograph albums dating from 1919 to 2006. Aerofilms Ltd, was an air survey company set up in 1919. In 2007, the collection was bought by Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), English Heritage (EH), and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW) from Blom ASA. Britain from Above was a four year project aimed at conserving 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection, those dating from 1919 to 1953. Once conserved, the images were scanned into digital format and made available on the Britain From Above website for the public to see, download for non-commercial use, and buy higher resolution versions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any information to add to this item, please use the comment box below. We welcome input and are keen to update any piece with new research or information. Comments are pre-moderated, so there will be a delay before they go live. Thanks