|Original route of Dixon's Hill|
Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile map, revised 1896 and published 1898
Image courtesy of the National Library of Scotland
Welcome to the North Mymms History ProjectA growing historical resource of more than 200 books, features, and documents. Feel free to use the comment box beneath any item to add information - you may need to disable any ad blocker software to reveal. Suggestions and content ideas are always welcome.
|Mollie King at the WEA stall at Brookmans Park Village Day|
Image courtesy of Brookmans Park WEA
During the second world war, Brookmans Park residents who were eager to broaden their education had to walk by torchlight along muddy lanes to Potters Bar to attend classes organised by the Workers Educational Association (WEA).
In 1946, a local branch had been formed in the village, meeting in an unfurnished shop on Bradmore Green. Those attending had to bring their own chairs, blankets and refreshments.
|The final issue of Chancellor’s Community Newsletter - pdf of cover below
The Chancellor’s Community Newsletter, which began life in 1982 as part of a campaign to save Chancellor's School from closure, soon became essential reading for people living as far away as Hatfield, Cuffley, and Potters Bar.
By the time it closed in 2015 a total of 384,750 copies had been produced.
Lilian Caras, one of the editorial team on the newsletter from 1984 to 1998 looks back at the history of what became “a focal point of the local community”.
|Baron Somers by Sir Godfrey Kneller|
Image courtesy of the National Portrait Gallery, released via Wikimedia Commons
John Somers, one of the two Lord Chancellors who lived in North Mymms, has had a mixed press. In fact, according to local historian, Dr Ruth Herman, he was an early victim of political propaganda 18th century style.
To some he had a great reputation as a lawyer, was fair and gentle, and had a patient temperament. But to others he was an obnoxious sycophant with a “licentious” lifestyle and prone to “sexual excesses”.
Dr Herman has researched and written the following account of John Somers for the North Mymms History Project.
|Map of More’s Utopia by Abraham Ortelius (1527–1598)|
Released in the public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
They lived 200 years apart, were both lawyers and politicians, both rebelled against the king, and both have historical links to North Mymms.
|Chancellor’s School, Brookmans Park - Autumn 2002|
Image courtesy of Paul Large of Falcon Media
In the early 1950s those planning to build a primary school in Brookmans Park decided Bradmore Way would be a “more convenient” location than land “off Georges Wood Road”. More than 12 years later the rejected site became the home of Chancellor’s School.
One of the bells at St Mary’s being lowered in 1985
Image by Jane Russell (nee Sherlock) released under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0
In the early 19th century a single bell rang at St Mary’s Church, North Mymms, calling the congregation to worship.
|The Congregational Church (later URC) Brookmans Park July 1960|
Photograph courtesy of the URC, part of the Images of North Mymms collection
The first church in Brookmans Park village was housed in a converted shop on Bradmore Green that later became a takeaway restaurant.
|Bradmore Green Pharmacy August 1994 - proprietor Brian Simpkins|
Photograph by Norman Akers, courtesy of the former North Mymms Local History Society
Brian Coombe, who for many years ran the pharmacy on Bradmore Green, Brookmans Park, started as a “scruffy little schoolboy” helping his dad in what he described as a “general store” selling sweets and groceries as well as medicine.
After graduating and qualifying in pharmacy he returned to Brookmans Park as the “community pharmacist” offering advice and first aid when needed, including night calls to deliver oxygen to “save a life”.
|The Rev Arthur Simon Latter, Vicar of North Mymms 1864-1880|
Photographer unknown, image from the former North Mymms Local History Society
In 1876 a local branch of the Temperance Society opened in North Mymms. It was started by the vicar at the time, the Rev Arthur Simon Latter, who admitted to being a “moderate drinker”.
Meetings took place in Welham Green, Bell Bar and Roestock attracting “large gatherings” entertained with songs, readings and speeches while drinking tea.
The aim of the local group, which lasted for 40 years, was to “save souls and have sober labourers”.