|South-west view of Gobions 1840|
Image from NMLHS, part of the Images of North Mymms collection
Those who have walked through the Gobions Woods Nature Reserve and Gobion Open Space might have wondered about the history of the place. This site has a lengthy feature on the history and evolution of Gobions from 1718 onwards.
In this piece the history is traced back further to the 13th century. Originally published by the Barnet and District Record Society in October 1952 and written by local historians K.G Davies and H.J. Butcher this article was republished as an abridged version in the April 1986 issue of the Chancellor’s Community Newsletter, reproduced here with permission of the publisher.
Note: The original article had incorrectly named Queen Charlotte as having visited the gardens at Gobions in 1732 when in fact it was Queen Caroline.