Welcome to the North Mymms History Project

A growing historical resource of more than 150 books, features, and documents. Feel free to use the comment box beneath any item to add relevant information. Suggestions and content ideas welcome. You can sign up for email notifications at the top left of any page.

Brookmans Park - Pictures From The Past

NORTH MYMMS PICTURES FROM THE PAST

Photograph of Brookmans Park Radio Transmitting Station July 1961
Brookmans Park Radio Transmitting Station July 1961
With the original frontage on to the Great North Road (A1000)
It was opened for regional transmission on March 9, 1930
It was the first station in the world to transmit two programmes simultaneously
Experimental TV transmission was carried out before transferring to Alexandra Palace

Brookmans Park


This is one of a dozen sections from North Mymms Pictures From The Past, a book published in 2002 by the former North Mymms Local History Society, featuring more than 100 old photographs of the parish. The majority of the photographs are on the Images Of North Mymms collection of CDs. To access all sections, please scroll down to the index at the foot of this page.

Photograph of Aerial view of Brookmans Park in 1950
Aerial view of Brookmans Park in 1950
with Bradmore Green, the Brookmans Park Hotel, development in Bradmore Way,
the east side of Bluebridge Road and development still to take place in Oaklands Avenue


Photograph of Bradmore Green in 1950
 Bradmore Green in 1950


Photograph of Bradmore Green from the railway station 1950
Bradmore Green from the railway station 1950


Photograph of Brookmans Park Motors Ltd 1991. Original proprietor Mr Greenleaf owned the Bell Bar Garage.
Brookmans Park Motors Ltd 1991
Original proprietor Mr Greenleaf owned the Bell Bar Garage


Photograph of The Woolsack, Bradmore Green 1986, had been decorated to mark the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.
The Woolsack, Bradmore Green 1986
The shop had been decorated to mark the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson


Photograph of The Odeon advertising board in Bradmore Green in October 1968. The cinema closed in 1973
The Odeon advertising board in Bradmore Green in October 1968 - the cinema closed in 1973


Photograph of Brookmans, the home of the Gaussens was destroyed by a fire in 1891
Brookmans, the home of the Gaussens was destroyed by a fire in 1891


Photograph of the rear of Moffats House c1890
The rear of Moffats House c1890

The United Reformed Church 1993 - A congregational gathering was started in 1941,
moving to a converted shop on Bradmore Green in 1942, a temporary chapel
in Oakland Avenue in 1948, and to the present building which was dedicated in 1960

St Michael's Chapel 1993
St Mary's Church purchased the Moffats squash court in 1948,
converting it into St Michael's and All Angel's Chapel, which was consecrated in 1951



NORTH MYMMS PICTURES FROM THE PAST

Chapters



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any information to add to this item, please use the comment box below. We welcome input and are keen to update any piece with new research or information. Comments are pre-moderated, so there will be a delay before they go live. Thanks