Welcome to the North Mymms History Project

A growing collection of books, features, images, documents, and maps, collected, curated, and presented by a team of local volunteers keen to preserve the history of North Mymms

The legal row over relief for a sick ‘pauper’

St Margaret’s Church, Ridge Photographer unknown. Postcard from the Peter Miller collection
St Margaret’s Church, Ridge
Photographer unknown. Postcard from the Peter Miller collection

In 1856 agricultural labourer John Dymock from Ridge was living with relatives at Water End, North Mymms when he became ill. 

In those days the local parish was responsible for assisting the poor, but only if the person concerned was ‘settled’ in the parish. Settlement depended on the number of years they had lived there. 

If someone left their home parish to move elsewhere, as Dymock had done when he moved from Ridge to North Mymms, they had to take their settlement certificate with them. Dymock’s certificate guaranteed that his home parish, Ridge, would pay to move him back to his home if he needed poor relief. 

But Dymock’s illness wasn’t permanent, and he’d been living in North Mymms for fewer than five years.

So a legal back and forth developed between North Mymms and Ridge under the terms of The Poor Relief Act 1662, also known as the Settlement and Removal Act. 

Peter Kingsford wrote about Dymock’s case in the November 1988 issue of the Chancellor’s Community Newsletter. The article has been reproduced here with permission of the publisher. Click on the image below for a larger version.


Comments and information welcome

If you have anything to add to this feature, or just want to add your comments, please use the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this piece
If you have any information to add to this item, please use the comment box below. We welcome input and are keen to update any piece with new research or information. Comments are pre-moderated, so there will be a delay before they go live. Thanks

Further information
If you require any further information relating to this, or any other item, please use the contact form, because we are unable to reply directly to you via this comment box. You can access it from the 'contact us' link at the top of any page on the website, at the bottom of the right hand side of the website, or at the bottom of any page.